Pages

Saturday, July 29, 2006

"Stacy" review

Stacy (2001)

Directed by Naoyuki Tomomatsu
Writing credits Chisato Oogawara Kenji Otsuki

Norman England.... Jeff
Tomoka Hayashi.... Nozomi
Yukijiro Hotaru
Natsuki Kato.... Eiko

I bought this DVD. On the short list of can't miss movie ideas, "Zombie Schoolgirls" is definitely on there somewhere. "Stacy" is about teenage girls dying and coming back to life as a "Stacy" or zombie. They all wear school uniforms and munch on whatever human body part is around. It all sounds so good. So why do I feel like this movie missed the mark? Why can't I get into their Stacy ways? I think I know the reason. One acronym ruins this movie: N.D.H.

N.D.H. stands for Near Death Happiness. You see, before you become a Stacy, you experience a state of bliss called N.D.H. So the movie focuses on one dying girl and her N.D.H. ride. She befriends a puppeteer and giggles up a storm and drives the viewer into a state of N.D.S.S. or Near Death Stacy Sadness. This girl and her giggles drove me up the wall. By the time "Stacy" got back around to doing what zombie movies should be doing, (undead cannibalism), I was too annoyed to get into it. Giggle girl needed to jump on the Stacy train a lot sooner.

On the plus side, there are plenty of gore scenes to get excited about. Heads are ripped off and many other organs are plundered. "Stacy" isn't a total loss but I should like this zombie schoolgirl movie a lot more than I do. N.D.H. derails it.

SCORE: 1.5 out of 4 overly perky zombies Chainsaw for your Stacy?

No comments: