Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"Insecticidal" review

Insecticidal (2005)

Directed by Jeffery Scott Lando
Writing credits Jeff O'Brien

Meghan Heffern .... Cami
Rhonda Dent .... Josi
Samantha McLeod .... Sophi
Shawn Bachynski .... Martin
Vicky Huang .... Fumi
Travis Watters .... Mitch

A sorority house is under attack from giant insects. The one geeky girl in the house, (who looks pretty good to me), is playing around with bugs in the basement. But like all would be B-movie scientists, her crazy experiment must go awry. The bugs mutate into super sized critters and want to eat some sorority babes.

OK, seriously. I think I could have made these giant bug effects.Actually, I probably could have paid a ten year old to crank them out. There was nothing special about these effects. Half the movie is spent having the cast react to these cheap effects. They don’t look convinced. I’m not convinced. The filmmakers weren't convinced. So we all agree. These effects stink. Sure there’s suspension of disbelief, but I didn’t believe for one second that there was anything remotely hostile attacking these people.

It’s a shame that they didn’t spend more than $20 bucks on their monster effects because “Insecticidal” starts off like a B-flick I’d get into. We get sorority girls making out, getting close in the shower, making out some more and various other scenes of sorority babes partying.I was rooting for “Insecticidal” to be a winner. But staring at those cheap-o effects attacking an unconvincing cast sunk the movie for me. “Insecticidal” has its good points but it’s just not fun enough to recommend a viewing.

One last thought. Why didn’t the blonde girl with the largest breasts get naked? Why? Almost every other girl got topless except the one who really should have. She was heaving throughout the whole movie but still didn’t feel the need to undress. Why I say?Why oh why!?

SCORE: 2 out of 4 giant rampaging cheap effects attacking WHY?!!

No comments: